|Eggplant, tomato and basil tips.|
I will shrink this recipe to fit!
Doris Jacobson Bon Appetit
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1 1/2-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, cubed (you can use red if need be)
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice or 1lb fresh tomatoes diced, add some water if necessary and salt, pepper, oregano and basil to season
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Toasted pine nuts
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves. sauté until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with juice, then red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil. Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. (Caponata can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
Optional: Add 2-4 tsp ground parmesan to mix once cooled.
|Caponata, the finished item.|